Friday, March 27, 2009

BACON me HUNGRY!

Kris brought home a New York Post article for me this week about NYC's current obsession with bacon.

Then I saw a feature on CBS yesterday on how the bacon business is booming in spite of the recession.

So with bacon on the brain, I made us some B.L.T.s last night for dinner!

No recipe required, I just slathered some mayo (Hellman's, the good stuff) on to some lightly toasted wholewheat sourdough bread, added some Boston lettuce, a couple slices of vine-ripened tomatoes (light sprinkle of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper), and topped it off with some thick cut bacon (which I baked up to perfection in the oven). Mmmmm....delish!

Baking bacon? Super easy.

I hate the splattery mess bacon makes on my stove top so I learned this oven trick while watching Barefoot Contessa make her maple roasted bacon. But I don't bother adding maple syrup (doesn't need it) and I stopped using a baking rack (the fat congeals and sticks to it big time making it a pain in the butt to clean). The thick cut bacon stays nice and flat, doesn't shrivel up and gets nice and crispy.

How to Bake Bacon
Ingredients
Thick Cut Bacon, as much as you care to make
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F)
Line a sheet pan with foil with some parchment paper on top
Arrange bacon in one layer
Bake for 20 minutes until crispy
Transfer bacon to a paper towels to drain and cool off slightly



OINK!

Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

Coconut Girl Connie said...

Yeah, baby, BLT! One of our favorites. One of the island "foodie things" is smoked meat and homemade sausages, especially on the neighboring islands (outside of Oahu) because of the abundance of wild pig. Sometimes I use the smoke meat (which is like bacon or prusciutto-Portuguese style) in our BLT's. Oink all right! Side note, Hellman's in the East, Best Foods in the West,same company...interesting, huh!

Anonymous said...

Everything is better with bacon! Yum!

Phyllis said...

Oh dear, am I losing my West coast identity now that I've been in the Northeast for a decade?! Thanks to Coconut Girl Connie for reminding me that Hellman's mayo is called Best Foods in the West!

Sagacious said...

Love bacon - I have to agree with 5 Star. I didn't know about the Hellman's name switch - interesting. I wonder why?

Passionate Eater said...

I love your twist on cooking bacon (and I attribute it to YOU, not Barefoot Contessa). You just contributed your bit to adding to the bacon business, because I am going to get me some to make my own Me Hungry BLT!

A Maui Blog said...

Bacon - makes most food yummy - love them crunchy :)

gaga said...

Oh heck ya! That makes me drool :)